Monday, April 25, 2011

Welcome to the game of life

We start another week and with this week I start off badly being sick. Because I was recovering from being ill, I only got my brain to process some of the gems of information that were being tossed at me. For the sake of a new perspective the class was told to sit at the opposite sides of the table than the usual way of facing the blackboard. Being hopped up on Advil and Robitussin the light of the windows kept making my eye wonder and lose concentration. Games were the center of discussion at the beginning of class. Games like design have some of the same aspects. They tell a story and give of expression. Not only that but it also has a theme. An example would be the game of Risk who's theme is war and the game of sorry is revenge. In the design world we are making stories and we want to communicate those stories. Although, like games some designs don't tell any story but do serve a purpose. For example a Band-Aid box. It just tells you that its a box full of Band-Aid brand band-aids. But all the images, ads in magazines and television, and other forms of advertising connected to that box come to you in an instant. Why? Because those did tell a story and it stuck to your brain, even if it went to your subconscious. Thanks to that, your mind is telling you that you should buy that box instead of the other cheaper no name brand.

After that we started to look at images that described the seven deadly sins. Well that was kind of boring so I kinda let the Robitussin take over and let my mind drift. Although, one thing I did learn was that you should do your best to bring good work even if it is just collecting images that describe a sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment