Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Gather 'round the campfire kids. It's story time.

We had an interesting activity in class on Monday. We had to come up with a story with two items that each person in the group had placed in the table. I liked this activity because I can come up with a story with more ease than others. I'm not a pro at it but I like it and its fun. The group I belonged to and I created quite a fantastic story. So much so that I was already thinking of how it would look, what the main character was going to look like, how would the action sequences go, and how would the final battle be. But I found out today that a good story is not all you need in the storytelling game. When someone tells the story there has to be a type of expression. As graphic designers we are telling some type of story through our designs. I never really thought of both storytelling and designing as related to each other in any way. In my mind they were both totally separate. Now realizing that design is really telling a story in a visual form brings things more into clarity. A story without words is how I got it. It's difficult for me to make a story out of design because it kinda get murky in my mind and thoughts get 'criss-crossed' and I lose track of what is going on. Thinking about it I see that sometimes I lose the expression when it comes to design. I would look at what I have done and think that's not what I wanted to see/feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment