Friday, April 15, 2011

ID

Inspiration is nice and all but with out identifying what constraints that a project has, then the design of that project is most likely to end up straying from what the purpose of the design was. Inherent constraints are constraints that are needed to keep the essential characteristic of the design. Imposed constraints are characteristics of a design that is desired but not needed. I tend yo use quite a few imposed constraints and ignore the inherent ones, which is not good cause most of the time I have to redesign all that I did. What I don't like is that constraints can happen at any time. Say you need a project done by a certain time, and all of a sudden the client wants it sooner. But it is the designers responsibility to finish the project, which is another constrain that is inherent to any project. There are also other constraints that a designer should look at before starting a project. End-user constraints are heavy things to consider because it can affect your career severely. One must think of the social views that are in effect at the present and do one of the things that I've been told to do so many times, research extensively!! Functionality and from should be other things to consider. What I think would be best is to merge the two without one taking over the other, but of course that is something that is very difficult to do. One thing that should be considered also is safety. If you are designing something in the outdoors then consider the effect that your project will have with people and the environment. You don't want lawsuits heading your way. Not only that but it will look bad on you if you just do things in a reckless manner. Production can be another severe constraint. Most of the time there are always constraints of what materials you can use. But this should not hinder your want to explore and create new ideas. And of course there are Designer constraints. One of the things a designer must do I have already mentioned and that is research. If you go on just designing guessing about the audience you will end up looking like a fool. Time management is another thing that designers have to consider. Splitting up time to do the various things you have to do is always a good idea. I'd go as far as to say that it is required to become a good designer. Also budgets are also a big constraint on a designer. How much money will decide as to what you can and cannot do in a project. And there might be something that you did not plan on spending but it is required so its always a good thing to think ahead and research how much things will cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment