Just because you are not successful in a project, doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Before getting this little gem of advice, I always either threw away my work/projects away because I didn’t think of them as worthy to stay alive. But those past projects could have been useful in inspiring me for other projects or maybe even be used as a part of a bigger project!
Many things can help inspire us to make better and better work. All the experiences that we have in our lives can help us on how we do our projects, helping us make good work. “Not one day is the same as the other,” my instructor stated. Even if we are doing the same routine, all the experiences that we have each and every day are different. So he says. I don’t know if I can agree with him on that. Back in high school I had nothing but a routine and I was so numb from it that I felt everyday like the rest of them. Did I have a different experience one day than the other? I highly doubt it.
Seth Johnson spoke at CSULA on Friday. Unfortunately for me I had another event I had to attend, since I had promised I would. But there were a few people in my class that decided to talk to the whole class and speak about the things that Seth had to say. Besides the mindless rant that went on for the first five minutes I got a few tips on how to be a better designer, with Seth’s six points [to success].
1) Tell clients what they need.
2)Do your own work.
3)Do a lot with a little
4)Shut up and listen
5)Make your work better
6)Be curious and never be satisfied
Some clients are open to decisions that you offer as a graphic designer. Some leave it up to you to make the design seeing how you are the professional in that field. Others already have a design in mind that they want and don’t want to listen to you. Another thing I got from what the other students were talking about was that Seth stated that us as designers we should never be satisfied. Keep exploring the world of design.
No comments:
Post a Comment