It's funny how a class discussion of design can come from someones escapades of their weekend. We discussed what made Disney stories what they are. They are very careful on what it is they display in their movies. They reject anything that might seem to sexual. The most you'll see of that, is a hug or a peck on either the cheek or the mouth but a peck nonetheless. I've always noticed that most of their movies have a recurrent theme of love. This theme is something that reaches out to EVERYONE. I don't care if you're an emo kid or have some sort of I don't need to love thing, everyone in this planet wants to love and be loved in return. Also, Disney has the very nature of children in one of their most known slogans: "When you wish upon a star." If you hear say or read this phrase there is virtually no way that you cannot be thinking of Disney. That phrase will just take you back to those days when yo were a child and reminisce of those days.
On another note, What makes a good story? In class a list was made in the same way that we did our mind maps only without the lines and connections. Here are some: setting, voices, theme, interaction, sex, fantasy, morals and symbolism, viewpoints, relationships, rising action, etc. I think that a story can have all of these things and more but if it's not executed effectively then its going to fail. Whoever reads or sees the story unfold will not have any care for the story or characters.
We also saw a couple of movies [TED talks] from two authors: Amy Tan, and Elizabeth Gilbert. Amy Tan seemed kinda boring to me. So my brain kinda tuned out through some parts. But one of the things that hit me hard was the question that she had asked. "Why do we accept knowledge and assumptions from other people?" All I could say was, "you're right!" I thought about it and well, to be honest, I did it because that is how I grew up. All traditions and rules and beliefs were passed down to me.
Elizabeth Gilbert wrote Eat, Pray, Love. I had no idea who she was or that she even existed. What I received from her was that I should not let a great past work eat me up. It's fear of not being able to top your latest creation. But Jimmy served the question "what are you afraid of?" That got me thinking. What I am afraid of is not being a good designer or even an artist. The only way I'll get through that is if I keep going and not give up. She also raised the question of how do we keep doing what we do? In her perspective, she said that we needed a muse in order for us to keep going. Find anything that makes you feel like creating weather it be an elf in your walls, or a deity.
No comments:
Post a Comment